See the current Class Schedule for more information on the following:
A. Course Prerequisites Completion
No student may enroll in the Program unless he/she has successfully completed certain courses. It is premature for a student to submit an application package if the student cannot complete all course prerequisites for enrollment in the Program by BY TIME OF APPLICATION to the program for the following Fall admission.
B. Course Grades
Students must successfully complete all prerequisite courses. This means the student must receive a letter grade of “C” or higher in all prerequisite courses for entry into the Program. Grades of “C minus,” “Credit/no credit,” or “pass/no pass” grades are not accepted. All Nursing courses required for licensure which have been completed prior to admission must also be successfully completed with a grade of “C” or higher.
C. 7 Course Prerequisites
The Program has established seven prerequisite courses that MUST be completed prior to application to the Program. The seven prerequisite courses are listed below. The prerequisite courses are designed to assure that students who are accepted into the Program have the necessary skills, concepts, and/or information to pass the Registered Nursing courses and achieve academic success in the Program
The Prerequisite courses for entrance into the Program are:
1. NE 90, Introduction to Nursing Education and Practice (See COM schedule for class dates and enrollment information).
2. CHEMISTRY: One four or five (semester) unit college credit course in chemistry (Chem 110, or Chem 114 or 115). A year of high school chemistry may be accepted. Must be taken for a letter grade.
3. ANATOMY: One four or five (semester) credit unit college human anatomy course with laboratory (Biology 120). Must be taken for a letter grade.
4. PHYSIOLOGY: One four or five (semester) credit unit college human physiology course (Biology 224), with laboratory. Must be taken for a letter grade.
5. MATH: Math 101 or College of Marin math assessment test qualifying for Math 103 (challenge option). Effective Fall 2009 Math 103 is the college graduation requirement.
6. ENGLISH: English 150. Effective fall 2009. Must be taken for a letter grade.
7. MICROBIOLOGY: One four or five (semester) credit unit college microbiology course (Biology 240), with laboratory. Must be taken for a letter grade.
In addition to completing the above required prerequisite courses, the College of Marin strongly recommends that students who seek entry into the Program take two additional courses that will help them prepare for Nursing Instruction. These courses are referred to as “advisory” courses and are described below.
The Advisory courses that are strongly recommended for entrance into the Program are:
NE 95: Effective Strategies for Success in the Registered Nursing Program
CIS 101: Introduction to Personal Computers and Operating Systems
D. Program Corequisites
Co-Requisite Courses Required for RN Licensure
Co-Requisite Courses Required for General Education Degree
Waived for students with a Bachelor's degree from regionally accredited institutions
E. Courses completed at other institutions
It is not necessary to take all the prerequisites at the College of Marin. If you took some or all of the prerequisite courses at another college and you are considering transferring these courses to Marin, please follow Procedures for Substitution of Courses for the College of Marin Registered Nursing program below.
Prerequisite courses taken at institutions other than the College of Marin must be evaluated prior to acceptance into the Nursing Program.