Skip to Content  |   A to Z Index  |   Kentfield Campus  |   Indian Valley Campus

College of Marin Veteran Education
Home New Students - Prospective Students Current Students of College of Marin Colletge of Marin Faculty and Staff About the College of Marin College of Marin Search Engine

Welcome to the Spring 2016 semester at College of Marin. I’m excited to invite you to our new Veteran and Military Student Resource Center, located upstairs in Room 202 of the Student Services Building. Please stop by so that we can let you know about our offerings and get your thoughts about potential additional services. We'll brew a fresh cup of coffee just for you.   

The center is open, though our staffing is not 100% yet, but soon will be.  Current office hours are Monday and Wednesday 10 am - 5:30 pm, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9 am – 4:30 pm. If you’d like to meet, but need a different time, please contact Paige Jenkins, Veteran and Military Resource Center Specialist at 415-457-9410 to arrange a time that works for you.

New this semester is an opportunity for student employment via VA WORK STUDY JOBS at the Center. If you are receiving GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation, Dependents Educational Assistance or Reserve Educational Assistance benefits and you are enrolled at least ¾ time, or 9 semester units, then you should be eligible to apply for a work study position. PDF Fillable Applications are available at: VA Work Study Application. Please email your completed application to Paige Jenkins. Upon receipt of your completed application I will contact you to schedule an interview.

If you have any questions or have any trouble accessing this information please contact me.

Some of the services available to you in the Resource Center include:  computer and internet access and printing; study area; a refrigerator, microwave, free coffee, and a place to relax. We will be adding more services and amenities over time. The Resource Center welcomes all active duty, reserve, veteran and military/veteran dependent students, regardless of VA eligibility.

We are hosting our second Warrior Writing Workshop 6 - 8 PM Tuesday, April 26. This workshop is open to all veterans of any era, service members, military families, and the community. The workshop is free and open to the public. Bring a pen/pencil and paper.


You can also find us on Facebook at College of Marin Veterans and Military Student Resource Center


Interested in collecting your GI Bill benefits at College of Marin?

  • Are you:
    • A veteran who has served on active duty?
    • A reservist?     
    • A dependent of a veteran who is deceased or has a service-connected disability?

If so, you might be eligible for the GI Bill and other educational benefits.

College of Marin (COM) is approved by the California State Approving Agency for Veteran Education (CSAAVE) and the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) for the training of veterans and veteran’s dependents. 

  • College of Marin is approved to certify eligible students who are interested in:
    • Completing an associate degree program listed in the COM catalog.
    • Completing a certificate program listed in the COM catalog.
    • Transferring to four-year institutions in which COM has an articulation agreement.

Veterans and dependents eligibility for benefits is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  If you have questions regarding your eligibility, call the Department of Veterans Affairs toll free at 1-888-442-4551 or visit them on the website:

Information regarding benefits, grants, scholarships, and more:

back to top

VA Benefits Registration Process at COM:

To begin the process of initiating a claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs, visit the VA website  In order to get certified for VA education benefits, veterans and/or dependents attending College of Marin must also complete a “COM Veterans Packet” (available in the Admissions and Records Office).

For additional information or questions, please contact:

Patience James, Enrollment Services Associate II

415.457.8811 ext 7321
back to top

COM Counseling Service for Veterans:

Students are encouraged to meet with counselors well in advance of registration.

Veterans Counselors
Karen Robinson

Will Coley

Brett Sklove (Wednesday evenings Kentfield)

Byron Ramey (Indian Valley Campus Novato)

To schedule an appointment, call 415.485.9436.

  • For the initial meeting with the Veteran’s Counselor it is advised the student bring the following documents:
    • Completed COM – VA Packet (available at the COM Admissions and Records Office)
    • Copy of DD214 (veteran only)
    • Veterans:
      • VA *form 22-1990 (veteran’s initial application for VA educational benefits) OR *form 22-1995 (veteran’s transferring VA educational benefits from a prior College)
    • Dependents:
      • VA *form 22-5490 (dependents initial application for VA educational benefits) OR VA *form 22-5495 (dependents transferring VA educational benefits from a prior College)

*Forms are available at:

NOTE: It is advised to have official transcripts from all prior Colleges sent to the COM Counseling Department prior to scheduling your counseling appointment. (College of Marin Counseling Department, 835 College Ave., Kentfield CA 94904)

back to top

Priority Registration for Veterans:

In recognition of the men and women that serve us and our country, SB 272 grants priority college registration to veterans attending public colleges and universities.  This gives veterans the opportunity to register for classes before all other students.

back to top

Veterans Educational Benefits:

Benefits are paid to eligible veterans, dependents, reservists and service members while they are in an approved training program. 

*Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits.  This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses.  Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. 

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations.  Primarily, Chapter 31 is an employment driven program with a goal of suitable and sustainable employment that matches the veteran’s abilities and disabilities.  Secondary, Chapter 31 provides to veterans who are severely disabled and that gainful employment is not an option, assistance to allow the veteran to live more independently in his or her community.

A veteran eligible for Chapter 31 must first contact and meet with a Case Manager/Vocational Rehabilitation (VRC) Counselor at the Oakland Regional Office, 1301 Clay Street Room 1200 Oakland CA  94612 (phone number: 510-637-6128).  After meeting with the VRC, the school will receive a VA form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status).  An approved copy of this form will be sent to the school’s Certifying Official indicating the student’s approved major.  The Certifying Official of the school will then submit a certification of the approved courses necessary to meet the student’s educational objective.

Chapter 32: Post-Vietnam Veterans’ Education Assistance Program (VEAP)

The Post-Vietnam Veterans’ Education Assistance Program (VEAP) is an education benefit for veterans who paid into VEAP while they were in the service.  Eligible veterans may be entitled to as much as 36 months of training.  Eligibility usually ends 10 years after getting out of the service, but the time limit can be longer in certain cases.

  • The total dollar amount of the benefits is the sum of:
    • The total contributions, PLUS
    • Matching funds from VA equal to 2 times your contributions, PLUS
    • Any DOD contributions or “kickers”

Chapter 33: The Post 9/11 GI Bill

*Chapter 33: The Post 9/11 GI Bill: The Post 9-11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post 9-/11 GI Bill.  This program will pay eligible individuals:

  • Tuition & fees directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition & fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning.
  • A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school (Marin County E-5 with dependents: $1926).
  • An annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
  • A one-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals.

This benefit is payable only for training at an Institution of Higher Learning.  If you are enrolled exclusively in online training you will not receive the housing allowance.  If you are on active duty you will not receive the housing allowance or books & supplies stipend.  This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

The VA will process applications for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.  Applicants will receive a letter explaining VA’s decision regarding eligibility for the program. 

*Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.  The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training.  If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course.  Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.  Spouses generally have 10 years from the date VA first finds them eligible.  Children are generally eligible from age 18 until age 26.  These time limits can sometimes be extended.

* To view current rates of the VA Chapters mentioned above visit the website:  


*Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve  The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, and the Army National Guard and Air National Guard.  This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

*Chapter 1607: Reserves Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress.  This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for educational benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

back to top

California Department of Veterans Affairs College Fee Waiver Program for Veterans Dependents:

The dependent child, spouse or unmarried surviving spouses of a service connected disabled or deceased veteran may be entitled to tuition and fee waiver benefits at any campus of the California State University system, University of California or a California Community College.

To obtain an application for benefits under this program or to receive additional information, contact your local County Veterans Service Office (located in the “Government Listings” section of your telephone book under “county Government Offices”.) or on their website:

It is suggested the dependent submit the application for the fee waiver prior to attending school.  Benefits are awarded on an academic year basis and students are required to reapply each year for ongoing benefits.  NOTE: The earliest effective date fee waived benefits may be awarded is the first day of the academic year in which an application is received.

Once a dependents application is submitted and approved by the California Department of Veterans Affairs, an eligibility letter will be mailed to the dependent.  Dependents must submit a copy of their eligibility letter to the College of Marin Office of Admissions and Records each year in order for the in- state enrollments fees to be waived.

back to top

Useful VA Telephone Numbers and Web Links:

back to top

Additional Information:

Academic Standing: 
A GPA of 2.0 is required to meet the COM graduation requirements.  A veteran or dependent veteran who has less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA in three consecutive semesters (not including summer) will have his or her veterans benefits terminated.

Advance Payment:
Available only to Chapter 30 – Advance payment provides payment for the first partial and first whole month of the enrollment being certified.  The next check will be received at the end of the next month.

To receive Advance Payment, you must complete and sign the Veteran’s Benefit/Request for Certification form (available at Admissions and Records Office).  You must be enrolled at least half- time status and their must be more than 30 days between terms.

Calculating Payment for Full-Time/Three-Quarter/Half-Time Enrollment:

  • For fall and spring semesters:
    • 12 or more units (of full-semester courses) is considered Full-Time
    • 9 – 11.5 units (of full-semester courses) is considered Three-Quarter Time
    • 6- 8.5 units (of full semester courses) is considered Half-Time
  • For summer sessions:
    • 4 or more units (of full session courses) is considered Full-Time
    • 3 units (of full session courses) is considered Three-Quarter Time
    • 2 units (of full session courses) is considered Half-Time

NOTE: Because VA will only pay for the time you are actually attending courses – if you are enrolled in a short term classes during the fall, spring and/or summer, the unit value for payment will only be calculated into the full-term, three-quarter term, or half time attendance only during the time the course is in session and not the entire semester.

Dropping One or More Courses:
If you drop one or more of your courses, you should always notify VA and your school’s Certifying Official as soon as possible.  If you drop after the end of the school’s drop period, you will need to let VA know the reasons for the change.  Unless you can show that the change was due to mitigating circumstances, VA must reduce or stop your benefits from the beginning date of the term. 

English or Math Remedial Courses:
The VA will not pay for English and/or Math remedial course work unless COM test results show the course is necessary.  Verification of remedial test scores must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office prior to certification with the VA.

Military Credit:
Students who have completed at least one year of active military service may submit a Student Petition (available through the Admissions and Records Office) and attach a copy of their DD214 (showing an honorable discharge) to request to the COM Admission and Records Office and receive 5 units of PE.  These units will appear in the memoranda section of the grade record.  Students must have completed 12 units at COM to be eligible.

Retroactive Benefits:
VA benefits will be paid for enrollments up to one year prior to the date VA receives a student’s application.

VA Payments:
The VA will only pay for COM programs approved by the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE) that lead to a degree or certificate or COM coursework which will transfer to an approved four-year institution.

New/transfer students can expect to begin receiving VA funding in about six weeks from the first day of your beginning semester.

Upcoming Events:


Shar Tank Flyer

Useful Links and Contacts:

Links to Military and Veteran Benefits and online tools to apply for benefits, download your DD214 and more

Marin County Veterans' Service Office, Sean Stephens 415-457-4636 local resource for filing compensation and pension claims

Personal Health Record and Access to VA Healthcare

North Bay Vet Center 6225 Stae Farm Drive Suite 101 Rohnert Park 707-586-3295 local Readjustment Counseling Services



back to top

Veteran Education Website

Military and Veteran Student Resource Center: Paige Jenkins, 415-485-9410
Technical Contact: Vickie Lamke, Administrative Assistant, 415.485.9376