Skip to Content  |   A to Z Index  |   Kentfield Campus  |   Indian Valley Campus

College of Marin
Smoke-Free Learning and Work Environment FAQ
Home New Students - Prospective Students Current Students of College of Marin Colletge of Marin Faculty and Staff About the College of Marin College of Marin Search Engine
Smoke-Free Working and Learning Environment
Board Policy 3570

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why is COM going smoke-free?
This policy is about creating healthier campus environments for our students, staff, faculty and visitors. It is intended to foster wellness and improve the health of the COM community. Additionally, adopting a smoke-free and tobacco-free policy aligns with COM’s growing commitment to environmental sustainability.

2. What areas of campus will the smoke-free regulation cover?
Smoking will be prohibited on all COM owned properties, including Kentfield and Indian Valley Campus buildings, grounds, lots and structures, athletic fields, and recreational areas.

3. Does COM provide designated smoking areas on campus?
Smoking will be permitted in designated areas in select parking lots at both campuses.

4. Will COM offer resources for students, faculty and staff who want to quit using tobacco?
COM is committed to helping students, faculty and staff manage or overcome their tobacco use. The following resources are available to COM students, faculty and staff:

Assistance Programs

Kaiser Permanente: New quit classes start every 6 weeks at Kaiser Permanente, San Rafael. Free for Kaiser members, $90 for non-members. Call 415-444-2173 to register.

Bay Area Community Resources: Free cessation services for young adults up to age 25 and low cost groups for other adults. Nicotine patches available to qualified participants at reduced cost.
Call 415-755-2399 for more information.

Nicotine Anonymous: Free weekly 12 step support groups in Marin and Sonoma Counties.
Visit for more information.

California Smokers’ Helpline: Free telephone counseling for California residents is provided by specialists trained to work with all age groups.

  • 1-800-NO-BUTTS (English)
  • 1-800-838-8917 (Chinese)
  • 1-800-778-8440 (Vietnamese)
  • 1-800-933-4-TDD (Deaf/Hearing impaired)
  • 1-800-556-5564 (Korean)
  • 1-800-45-NO FUME (Spanish speakers)

Web-Based Support:

  • The American Cancer Society offers a toll-free phone line, 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669).
  • The National Cancer Institute offers a toll-free phone line, 1-877-44U-QUIT (1-877-448-7848), with access to English- and Spanish-speaking counselors.
  • Visit for additional resources.
  • For individuals who want to quit “cold turkey” without medical treatment of their nicotine addiction, go to

5. Are other colleges and universities going smoke-free?
As of July 2011, there are at least 530 campuses nationwide that are 100 percent smoke-free, including residential housing facilities, where they exist.

Institutions of higher education are supporting smoke-free environments for multiple reasons, including:
1) protecting the health of students, faculty, staff, and visitors;
2) supporting student, faculty, and staff preferences for tobacco-free environments;
3) keeping campuses clean; and
4) reducing fire hazards.

6. What are the rights of smokers?
Court rulings maintain that tobacco users do not have the legal right to expose others to secondhand smoke, a Class A carcinogen. Additionally, they are not entitled to protection against discrimination as “addicts” or as “disabled persons”.

7. Will the smoke-free policy extend to vendors, contracted workers, etc.?
Yes. All visitors, including vendors, contract workers, etc., will be required to refrain from smoking on our campuses.

8. How can I ask questions or address concerns that I have about the smoke-free learning and working environment policy?
Any questions pertaining to the smoke-free learning and working environment policy can be submitted to the Office of the Superintendent/President at or call 415.485.9508.


Kenfield Campus Map

Indian Valley Campus Map