About Indian Valley Campus (IVC)
College of Marin has been a tradition in Marin County since 1926. Formerly Marin Junior College, it granted its first associate degrees in the spring of 1929. In 1947, the college was renamed College of Marin. In 1971, the Board of Trustees established the second college of the district and named the new institution Indian Valley College. The college operated in temporary facilities at Hamilton Air Force Base and at the Pacheco School while new facilities were under construction. Indian Valley College's first associate degrees were awarded in 1972 and the new campus opened in the fall of 1975. In 1985, the two colleges merged and are now known as College of Marin. Classes are offered on the Kentfield Campus in Kentfield and the Indian Valley Campus in Novato.
Students in traditional trade courses such as Auto Technology and Auto Collision Repair Technology have been working with students in Machine Metals Technology to design and build alternative powered vehicles. At the same time, the new Solar Technology program is active, with students learning the latest best practices for the industry. Environmental Landscaping students are learning about sustainable soil and water management practices. The new five-plus acre Indian Valley Organic Farm and Garden program is at the Center for Sustainable Horticulture located at the end of Ignacio Boulevard bordering on some of Marin County's pristine open-space.
IVC Continues to Grow
New buildings, new programs, new students, and a new farm are all part of the IVC story. Dramatic growth at IVC is the result of several years of hard work to reinvigorate curriculum, broaden offerings, and improve outreach to prospective students. There were only 750 credit students enrolled at IVC in 2005 and more than doubled to 1700 credit students in 2010. That trendline continues as the IVC programs and services grow.
The fully modernized Transportation Technology Complex, the home of the Automotive Collision and Repair and Automotive Technology programs, was completed in May 2010. The state-of-the-art building, built according to industry standards, features the technology to help students develop the skills required today, and in the automotive future, such as electric plug-in vehicles, hybrids, and other evolving alternative transportation options.
The IVC Main Building located at the entrance of the campus was completed in December 2010 and provides an impressive welcome to the campus. The 32,264 sq. ft. building houses a variety of workforce development programs and faculty offices, including Dental Assisting, Medical Assisting, Multimedia Studies, Emergency Medical Technician, Court Reporting, Internet Café, and Library.
Indian Valley Campus Website
Technical Contact: Julie Oyle, Department Assistant, 415.883.2211 ext. 8200
Content Responsible: 415.883.2211 ext. 8108