Skip to Content  |   A to Z Index  |   Kentfield Campus  |   Indian Valley Campus

College of Marin Intensive English Program (IEP)
Home New Students - Prospective Students Current Students of College of Marin Colletge of Marin Faculty and Staff About the College of Marin College of Marin Search Engine

Pre-arrival Information

IEP Tuition Fees

Estimate Costs for One Semester (2014/2015)

Application Fee

Tuition Fee

Medical Insurance (Subject to change)


$890--1,246 (Subject to change)

Room and Board (on a shared basis)* $7,033.50
Transportation $540
Personal (miscellaneous) $1,408.50
Books and Supplies $200
TOTAL $12,622*--$12,978

* Subject to change. Amounts are approximate and may change at any time. An additional $5,000.00 per semester is required for each dependent.

back to top

Estimate Costs for Two Semesters

Application Fee $100

Tuition Fee

Medical Insurance (Subject to change)


$2,136 (Subject to change)

Room and Board (on a shared basis)* $14,067
Transportation $1,080
Personal (miscellaneous) $2,817
Books and Supplies $400
TOTAL $25,600*

* Subject to change. Amounts are approximate and may change at any time. An additional $5000 per semester is required for each dependent.

back to top

Health Requirements for International Students

All international students attending the Intensive English Program are required to purchase the (non-refundable)medical insurance recommended by the College. There are no medical insurance waivers due to having another medical policy. Optional medical and/or dental insurance for dependents are available at additional cost to student.

Medical Insurance Rate Schedule 2014--2015
Annual 8/1/2014 to 7/31/2015 $2,136
Fall 8/1/14--12/31/14 $  890
Spring/Summer 1/1/15--7/31/15 $1,246
Spouse 5 months/ 7 months $3190/$4466
Dependent child 5 months/ 7 months $1090/ $1526
All rates are subject to change.    

back to top


College of Marin does not provide international student housing, but there is housing available through the following community resources.

The Student Home (by Sunrise Homes International, Inc.) is an ideal place for international students to live during their studies at College of Marin.  The Student Home is located in San Rafael next to Northgate Mall. There is free transportation to and from College of Marin (Indian Valley Campus), as well as free local “go anywhere” transportation in the afternoons.
Address: 179 Los Ranchitos Road, San Rafael, California 94903, USA
For more information:
Tel (Students): +1 (415) 499.9199, +1 (415) 499.9399, +1 (415) 499.9599
Tel (Manager): +1(888) 807.3460

Students interested in living with an American family in a home stay situation should contact one of the agencies below:

International Student Placement
Attn: Jean Ikeda
199 First Street, Suite 305
Los Altos, CA 94022, USA
Phone: (650) 947 - 8879
Fax: (650)948-1105

New:  Sara's Homestay
Marianne Vaccaro, Program Director
1 West 34th Street
Suite 702
New York, NY 10001
Phone +1 212 564.5979

International Housing Placement Service (IHPS)
20 South Altadena Drive Suite 102
Pasadena, CA 91107, USA
Phone: (626) 791 - 4249
Fax: (626) 602 - 3913

IHPS Local Coordinator:
Annie Anderson
Phone: (916) 813 - 6698

Global Student Housing

Other Resources**

CORTFurniture and rental options for international students
19360 Cabot Blvd  |  Hayward, CA 94545

CA Tour
California Tours
Contact Person: Marina Hufford
500 Sutter Street Suite 823  |   San Francisco, CA 94102
415-393-4213 (phone)  |  415-393-4217 (fax)

January Activity Calendar
 |  February Activity Calendar


**Disclaimer: Various links on the College of Marin IEP's website open third-party websites. We do not assume any responsibility for material located outside of the College of Marin web domain. Listing of material on this website does not serve as a contract between the College of Marin IEP's program and any other party and does not constitute an endorsement of any organization or its activities. As such, the College of Marin IEP's program is not liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources.

Student Visa Applications

Student visa applicants are encouraged to apply early for their visa.
Pleaes visit the U.S. Department of State web site for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the IEP located?
In Novato at the Indian Valley Campus. The IEP is in building Pomo 3, second level. Park in lot number 1 or 2. You will need to buy a daily parking permit for $4.00, or a semester permit for $50 from either the IVC or Kentfield Community Education office. The permit is good at both the Kentfield and Indian Valley campuses.

What courses/activities does the IEP offer?
The IEP offers 4 courses: Grammar for Oral and Written Communication, Writing with Reading, Speaking/Listening/ Pronunciation, and Idioms and Topics in American Culture (Level 3 also includes TOEFL Preparation). There are three levels each of Writing with Reading and Grammar for Oral and Written Communication, two levels of Speaking/Listening/ Pronunciation and of Idioms and Topics in American Culture. Each course meets either in the morning or afternoon, twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday or Wednesday and Friday for a total of 5 hours a week. There are two or three field trips per semester in addition to social events to help students make friends.

When do the courses start?
The 16-week semester (Session C) goes from January 20--May 15, 2015, and full-time attendance is required for F-1 students. For non-F-1 students Session A (first half of the semester) goes from January 20 to March 13, 2015 and Session B (second half of the semester) goes from March 17--May 15, 2015. Non-F-1 students may enroll in either or both of the sessions.

Who attends the IEP?
F-1s: Students living outside the U.S. come to the U.S. to study for a semester or more for academic purposes. These students are called F-1s and are not immigrants or tourists or au pairs. Tourists: Students with these visas are limited in the length of time they can study. At COM IEP they may study up to 80 hours in one 8-week session. J-1s (au pairs): These students usually attend 5 or 10 hours per week, and their host family pays up to a set amount, as required by their agreement with the au pair agency. Residents: Non-native English speakers living in Marin County for any length of time who want to improve their communication skills for personal or professional reasons.

How much does the IEP cost?
The costs are for 8-week / 16-week sessions for 5 hrs/wk $375/$775, 10 hrs/wk $725/$1425, 15 hrs/wk $975/$1925, and 20 hrs/wk $1175/$2325. F-1 students pay one fee ($2500) for the 16-week semester (no 8-week option). F-1 students are also required to buy health insurance.

Do California residents pay less money than non-residents?
No, the costs are the same whether the student is a resident or not. The only exception is the $2500 for F-1 students.

How do students sign up for the IEP?

F-1 students need to follow the instructions under "Apply and Register."

Non F-1s can register online at , or in person at either the Kentfield or IVC Admissions and Records Office starting January 5, 2015. Students need to fill out a white Community Education Application for Admission Form. On the back is the CRN ( course reference number), which they select from the IEP schedule according to the number of hours they are registering for.

What tests are required?
During the first week of the semester (January 20, 21, 22, 23) all part-time and full-time students are tested for placement in their courses. There are 1, 2, or 3 levels to every course, so students are placed in one of the three levels. For new students in Session B, testing is arranged by appointment with the coordinator.

Are these tests the same as the ESL credit and non-credit tests at the Kentfield Campus?
No, the IEP tests are only for IEP placement. They are different from the English and ESL tests at the Kentfield campus.

What is the Institutional TOEFL?
This is a test for F-1 students to fulfill the English proficiency requirement (500 Institutional TOEFL)of the College of Marin credit program and is given twice a year in April and November. F-1 students who complete all of the level 3 IEP courses waive the English proficiency test requirement (TOEFL 500 paper/ 61 iBT/ IELTS 6). These tests test are not required of residents or au pairs unless the au pairs are changing from a J-1 to an F-1 visa. The next Institutional TOEFL is April 6, 2015 at the Kentfield Campus (Village Square 5A). Information and registration at

Where can students get more information?
The IEP webpage is at Students can visit the program by contacting the IEP coordinator, Sara Oser at 415.883.2211 X8579 or by emailing F-1 students needing help filling out the application can contact Rebecca Freeland, International Education Advisor: If students want information about the non-credit or credit ESL courses, they should contact the ESL office at the Kentfield campus. The assistant there is Alex Suarez: (415) 485-9644 (on campus 7644).

back to top

Intensive English Program web page
Technical Contact: Sara Oser, Coordinator, College of Marin Intensive English Program, 415.883.2211, Extension 8579
Content Responsible: Dr. Jason Lau
, Director, Community Education, Lifelong Learning and International Education, 415.485.9316