image

image
image
image image image
image
Probability and Statistics - 10304 MATH 115 - 010
Instructor: Nikolas Psomas
 
 

SEMESTER: SPRING 2016

Textbook

 

8th edition of Moore: Introduction to the Practice of Statistics

Textbook image

How to sign up to LaunchPad for Introduction to the Practice Statistics

  1. Go to the Course
    LaunchPad
     
 

LaunchPad for IPS (For the 8th ed.)

LaunchPad for Introduction to the Practice Statistics (IPS) is a digital version of the text with full integration of resources, and online access to Study Guides, Excel and TI-83/84 manuals, and direct links to interactive resources.

You are required to purchase a LaunchPad Access code. It comes with an electronic version of the textbook, and a variety of other online instructional and study material

bullet TI-83/84 Resources (for Ch6,7,8,9)

-- Finding P-Values
-- Inference for Means - Keepress.com
-- Using the t-Distribution

bullet Practice Tests

  • TEST 1 (Covers Ch 1 & 2)
  • TEST 3 (Covers Ch 5 & 6)
  • FINAL (Covers Ch 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8)

Note: Practice tests consist of only multiple-choice questions and are meant to help you measure your undrestanding of the material. In-calss tests require that you show your work and combine various types of problems (including multiple choice questions).

bullet Excel "How-to" Demos

-- Enable the Data Analysis ToolPak (Excel 2007)
-- How to Create a Boxplot (Excel 2007)
--
Fitting a Line to a Scatterplot (Excel 2007)
-- Selecting a Random Sample w/ Excel 2003 (Flash)
-- Selecting a Random Sample w/ Excel 2003 (PDF)

Additional Resources

bullet Virtual TI-83 Graphing Calculator
bullet AGAINST ALL ODDS SERIES
bullet Khan Academy - Satistics
bulet Statistical Applets for IPS

shim Lecture Notes
 
 

bullet Lecture PPTs & Handouts

Chapter
Lecture PPTs (PDFs) Other Resources

1
-- 1.1 - 1.2 Lecture

-- 1.1 - 1.2 Exercises | Answers

-- 1.3 Lecture -- 1.3 Exercises | Answers
-- 1.4 Lecture -- 1.4 Exercises | Answers
  -- Statistical Tables -- 1.4 Sample HW Solutions
     
  -- Summary Statistics & Histograms w/TI-83 -- Describing Distributions Worksheet
    -- Beer Data: Excel | PDF
    -- Who Talks More Worksheet
    -- Normal Calculations Assignment
    -- Social CEO Report
     

2

-- Overview
-- 2.1 - 2.2 Lecture

-- 2.1 - 2.2 Exercises | Answers

-- 2.3 Lecture -- 2.3 Exercises | Answers
-- 2.4 Lecture -- 2.4 Exercises | Answers
-- 2.5 Lecture -- 2.5 Exercises | Answers
-- Summary Lecture -- Correlation & Regression Worksheet
 

3
-- Ch3 Lecture -- 3.1 Exercises
-- 3.2 Exercises
-- 3.3 Exercises
-- 3.4 Exercises
-- Ch3 Exercise Solutions
     

4
-- 4.1 - 4.2 Lecture -- 4.1 - 4.2 Exercises | Solutions

-- 4.3 - 4.5 Lecture

-- 4.3 - 4.4 Exercises | Solutions
-- 4.5 Exercises | Solutions
-- Worksheet #1 (Dice tossing)
-- Worksheet #2 (Life insurance)
-- Worksheet #3 (Rules for means)
-- Worksheet #4 (Conditional probability)
-- Section 4.5 Worksheet

 

5
-- 5.1 Lecture -- 5.1 Exercises | Solutions
-- 5.2 Lecture -- 5.2 Exercises | Solutions
    -- Chapter 5 Notes | Worksheet
     

6
-- 6.1 Lecture -- 6.1 Exercises | Solutions
-- 6.2 Lecture -- 6.2 Exercises | Solutions
     

7
-- 7.1 Lecture -- Ch 7 Handout
-- 7.2 Lecture -- 7.1 Exercises
    -- 7.2 Exercises
    -- Ch 7 Exersise Solutions

8
-- 8.1 Lecture -- Ch 8 Handout
-- 8.2 Lecture -- 8.1 Exercises
 
-- 8.2 Exercises
    -- Ch 8 Exercise Solutions
  -- Inference - TI 83/84
-- Inference Formulas
 
     

9
-- 9.1 Lecture -- Ch 9 Exercise Solutions
     

Semester Project

Sample Questionnaires:
-- Job Satisfaction Survey
-- Self Assessment Happiness Questionnaire

-- Sample Project
 

-- Final Exam Review Problems

Note: The review covers Ch 6 - Ch 8 problems only. The final is cummulative with 70% or more of the problems from Ch 6 - 8. The remaining 30% of the questions are from Chapters 1, 2, 4, & 5.

 
 
 

  shim shim shim