3. The first outcrop
Walk uphill back toward Conzelman Rd. to first outcrop
on the west (right) side.
4. A view of the entire sequence of rocks that we will be observing.
Walk up to the intersection with Conzelman Road.
Turn left, and walk up Conzelman Road to first major roadcut on the right side.As you proceed uphill, note the yellowish or buff colored character of soil that is found on
the interbedded sandstone and shales. The area up to and slightly beyond the Pacific
Coast Trail that crosses Conzelman Road is underlain by these types of rock
As we walk up hill we are going to be going down into older layers that lie beneath the
5. Radiolarian Chert Outcrop
6. Chevron Folding in Chert at this outcrop
10. Jasper close-up
11. Pillow lavaWalking a little further uphill we reach the oldest rocks in the
12. Back into the Chert with signs of black manganese coatings
Just a little further, don't quit now! We now start back
up in the sequence.
13. Manganese layer in chert
Just around the corner.
Just across the street.
Back to Index of Golden Gate field Trip