Skip to Content  |   A to Z Index  |   Kentfield Campus  |   Indian Valley Campus

College of Marin

Student Health Services

Home New Students - Prospective Students Current Students of College of Marin Colletge of Marin Faculty and Staff About the College of Marin College of Marin Search Engine

Affordable Care Act for the Student

The open enrollment period to sign up through the Health Insurance Marketplace is closed for 2014, but you may still have options to get health coverage.  The next open enrollment period begins next fall, November 15, 2014 – February 15, 2015 for coverage that would start as early as January 1, 2015.

Check out your options to get health coverage after March 31, 2014:

  1. See if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period — so you can buy a private health plan through the Marketplace.
  2. Apply for Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) — you can do this any time, all year. If you qualify you can enroll immediately.
  3. Small businesses can apply for SHOP coverage any time, all year.
  4. Members of federally recognized tribes and Alaska Native shareholders can enroll in Marketplace coverage any time of year. There is no limited enrollment period for these groups, and they can change plans as often as once a month.

More information about getting coverage outside open enrollment.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to purchase individual health insurance if I do not have insurance?
Yes. Everyone in the United States is required to have health insurance by January 1, 2014.
How can I afford individual health insurance?
The government has a website with all the insurance costs for you to compare prices. The costs will depend on your lifestyle and the amount of insurance you need and can afford in all price ranges. All plans will include doctor visits, contraception, prescription benefits, preventative care, hospital and emergency care. We suggest visiting the California marketplace for insurance at
Do I need to pay the Health Service Fee on campus if I buy personal insurance?
Yes. For ACA purposes, a “student administrative health fee” is a fee charged by the college or university on a periodic basis to students of the college or university to offset the cost of providing healthcare through health clinics regardless of whether the students utilize the health clinics or enroll in a student health insurance plan.
How do I know when I apply, if they will accept me?
You cannot be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, or even cancer and your coverage cannot be cut off or cancelled if you get sick.
When do I need coverage by?
Everyone needs to have health insurance in place by January 1, 2014. Open enrollment begins on October 1, 2013. You can visit before to familiarize yourself with the process and answer any more questions you have. Below is a basic guideline for assistance with this process.

back to top

Helpful Steps

To ensure you are ready, follow these steps:

  1. Connect – Starting April 1, 2014, you can go to the Health Insurance Marketplace ( or Covered California ( Review plans to select an insurance plan.
  2. Compare – All plans are listed in one place, so you can make side-by-side comparisons. Every plan is required to cover benefits including doctor visits, hospital care, emergency care prescriptions, preventative care and more.
  3. Choose – Select the plan that works for you and your lifestyle, then enroll.
  4. Covered – Now you can rest easy knowing you are protected.

For more information and to answer most questions, please follow these links for students and the Affordable Care Act:

Affordable Care Act and Student Health Insurance FAQ
Article from Los Angeles Times: Health insurance for college students


Back to top

Confidentiality Statement: All medical and personal counseling records are confidential with legal restraints. Our records are not part of the student’s academic records. Information will not be released without student’s written consent. For more information, please review our Student Health Center HIPAA statement.

Student Health Services Website
Content Responsible: June Lee, RN, CNS, MSN, Coordinator, 415.485.9458
Technical Contact: June Lee, RN, CNS, MSN, Coordinator, 415.485.9458