Contact and Hours
Monday – Thursday
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Placement tests are offered for English, math, and English as a Second Language (ESL). Placement testing or its equivalent is required as proof of eligibility for a number of classes.
English, math, and credit level ESL tests are given on the Accuplacer module, a computer-based, adaptive test. English and math placements or their equivalents are required as proof of eligibility for any course that has English or math prerequisites. (Example: Philosophy 110 has a prerequisite of English 98. A student who is not eligible for English 98 or higher will not be able to enroll in Philosophy 110.) Students receive a placement score immediately following completion of their test session. English and math tests are offered year-round, but students are limited to two attempts at each of the math and English tests per year. Credit ESL tests may only be taken once, or more than once with permission from the ESL office.
Non-credit English as a Second Language (CR-ESL) placement tests are offered through the ESL office for students who have beginning to intermediate levels of English. Students receive a placement score on the same day after the workshop. Please contact the ESL office if you have questions about non-credit level ESL classes.
Please note that these study materials are not a guarantee of placement.
English and Math
- Students can access sample questions at the College Board website: http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students (Sample questions are located on the right side of the webpage.)
- The College Board also provides an Accuplacer Study App (compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad; cost of $2.99) available through the Apple iTunes store.
- Practice tests and "Testing Secrets" book are available at the reserve desk of Kentfield and Indian Valley libraries for 1-hour in-library use.
- More general study aid can be found at: https://www.khanacademy.org/ and http://www.saddleback.edu/faculty/lperez/algebra2go/
- Review material provided by College of Marin faculty can be found below. Please note that these review problems are for study purposes only and are not representative of actual test questions.
- For more information about the math and English placement tests go to: http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students/accuplacer-tests
English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Click here for a sample of the ESL placement test.
Schedule a Placement Test
Appointments may be made in person at our office, over the phone, or online through the MyCOM portal.
Our office is located at the Kentfield Campus in the Student Services Building, room 238. Please see our monthly schedule to see what our hours are.
To schedule over the phone, please call the Assessment and Testing Center at (415) 485-9469 between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Thursday. If we are unable to answer your call please leave a message with your name, student number, day and time you wish to test, which test you wish to take, and a contact phone number. We will return your call at our earliest convenience.
Schedule an Appointment Online
To schedule an appointment online, logon to MyCOM portal. Select “Schedule a Test” and follow the instructions.
Cancellations and Rescheduling
If you are unable to attend a test, please cancel your existing appointment through MyCOM portal or by contacting the Assessment and Testing Center as soon as you can. If you need to reschedule your test you may then schedule a new appointment using the normal scheduling methods. There is no penalty for a cancelled appointment.