COLLEGE OF MARIN
Thursday, May 17, 2007
12:45 -2:00 pm
Student Service Building,
Conference Rooms A & B
Senators Present: Carol Adair, Yolanda Bellisimo, Michael
Dougan, Ron Gaiz, Erika Harkins, Patrick
Kelly, Joe Mueller, Meg Pasquel, Radica Portello, Robert Kennedy,
Ingrid Schreck, Blaze Woodlief, Derek Wilson
Senators Absent: Arthur Lutz, Sherri Rollison
Guests: Hoa-Long Tam, Bernie Blackman
Approval of Agenda & Minutes
Motion made to approve the agenda for May 17, 2007
Motion made to
approve the minutes dated May 10, 1997
- Motion adopted with corrections
The President reported the following:
President reported the following:
- The As discussed terms of office.
To put the
AS into compliance we need to ask that a Senator that is newly elected
serve for a one year term. Senator Adair volunteers to serve a one year
term instead of a two year term. A
part-timer also needs to serve for a one year term. The AS consents to
making this decision spring 2008.
- The AS consents for a Thursday
- A written
report was submitted.
- The VP thanks the former Senators
- Modernization must work in tandem
faculty. Assessing room sizes and classroom space should be done by
counting the number of sections and peak teaching hours to analyze and
project how many classrooms we need.
- Faculty should be following how
classroom decisions are calculated and need to make certain that all of
the current sections are accounted for to help determine classroom
- IT must be updated regarding the
Instructional Equipment requests so the new equipment can be installed
and so that IT can plan the implementation of new equipment.
Academic Standards Committee
- A written report was submitted.
- New forms were submitted to the AS
review. These new forms streamline the curriculum process. The AS
consents to using the new forms, and recommends that the Curriculum
Committee contact the Chairs and with
the Deans about the new forms. The AS also recommends that any new
courses that are
submitted use the new forms. AS discussed making this an SLO
- CC will move meeting times to
am which is better in line with AS meeting schedules to better
correlate and plan curriculum issues.
- A written report was submitted.
- AS Committee cannot eliminate any
petitions due to audit.
- The only time the committee would
hear these is during the appealed petitions process.
- The committee made changes to the
the College Petitions Committee Procedural Guidelines. The AS will
address this in September. The committee should continue with
petitions as they have been until the AS can review the new procedural
guidelines in September.
- Spring session ended with a total
of $252 of subsidies or a total
of 3 classes out of 60 classes. The annual Emeritus College
Spring Party will take place Sat 5/19 from 2-5 in cafeteria.
Election of a Treasurer and Staggering of Terms
- AS President asks for staggered
officers for more stability so the terms of officers are not all
selected at the same time.
- Senator Wilson made a motion to
configuration that Pres & VP are even years and secretary and
treasurer are elected odd years.
- Senator Pasquel was nominated for
- The AS elected Senator Pasquel for
position of AS treasurer.
for Senate White Paper
- The AS consents to buy the gifts
- Senator Gaiz made the motions to
Derek Wilson taking the position of the
Program Review White Paper Project.
Announcement: Outstanding Faculty and Staff Awards
- State legislature a few years back
agreed to leave the decision of +/- grading up to each district.
shows that +/- grading changes grades approximately by an average of
.08 GPA units, less than 1/10 of a GPA unit.
- Statistics show that student
do not change much but are slightly reduced as a result of +/- grading
issue will be on the agenda for the fall and the AS will consider
making this change at CoM.
Address the Senate on Non-Agenda
- Full-Time Faculty Nominated: John
Marmysz, Joe Mueller, Paul Smith, Victoria Vierra, Grace Hom, Ron Gaiz,
Schreck, Bruce Furuya, Patrick Kelly, Laurie Ordin, and Yolanda
has won the Full-time Outstanding Faculty Award
- Part-Time faculty Nominated: Gregg
Grist, Tron Bickel, Roy Jirel, Radica Ostojic-Portello, Gina Stahl,
Sheri Rollison, Carol Richardson
Stahl has won the Part-time Outstanding Faculty Award.
- Non credit Faculty Nominated: Sara
Mckinnon, Erika Harkins, Jackie Cuddler
McKinnon has won the Non-Credit Outstanding Faculty Award
- Staff Nominated: Diane Faw, Vicki
Lamke, Mina Namvar, Mike Irvine, Robin Jackson, Karen Van Keiedt, Dong
Nguyen, Kate Dodele, Becky Reetz, Xenia Zarrehparvar, Jesse Harbison,
- Must be at Redwood grove on 24th
recognition and award.
President will send out the list of Nominees and winners on the AS News.
adjourned at 2:07
Minutes submitted by Schreck