COLLEGE OF MARIN
Thursday, May 3, 2007
12:45 -2:00 pm
Student Service Building,
Conference Rooms A & B
Senators Present: Yolanda Bellisimo, Barbara Bonander, Hank
Fearnley, Ron Gaiz, Erika Harkins, Patrick
Kelly, Arthur Lutz, Radica Portello, David Rollison, Ingrid Schreck,
John Sutherland, Blaze Woodlief
Senators Absent: Theo Fung, Deborah Graham, Sheri
Guests: Hoa-Long Tam, Sara McKinnon, Bernie Blackman
Approval of Agenda & Minutes
Motion made to approve the agenda
Motion made to approve the minutes
The President reported the following:
The Vice President reported the following:
- Joe, Eric and Patrick will meet with Pres.
to discuss Bolinas.
- AS VP met with V-Anne to discuss the meeting
for the gateway building
- After the November 2008 election we will
find out if the bond passes and we will
know for certain which buildings will be part of the Gateway.
- Faculty should attend the Gateway planning
session to discuss the plans and offer input.
Academic Standards Committee
- The committee is working on College
Petitions Committee procedures and guidelines.
- AS should review and pass on to College
Council, then it goes to the Board.
- They have also been working on updating the
enrollment services handbook.
- The Math Dept. approved ap credit for Mat
with a score of 3, 4, or 5
- AS gives consent to give approval of AP
credit policy for Math 155
- The Community Ed teachers who teach at night
usually have mailboxes in the Emeritus room. Until recently there was
one person there until 7:30 to allow access to the building. There is
no longer access to that room at night. Several teachers cannot get
- Pres. of the AS will research this issue
and find out whether the Community Ed mail can be moved to the mailroom.
Investigation & Negotiation of Senate Units
CHECK WORDING FROM TAPE INDEX
- Senator Bonander made a motion for the
AS to determine the required work for
prior to any negotiation of officers.
- The AS will list officer's roles and bring
it back to the AS for consideration. If the AS determines that we
should be asking for more units, that would then be negotiated.
MOU on Program Review
- Roll call vote:
- Shreck: Y
- Woodlief: Y
- Harkins: Y
- Lutz: A
- Portello: Y
- Bonander: Y
- Gaiz: Y
- Rollison, David: N
- Sutherland: Y
- Fearnley: No
- Kelly: A
- Bellisimo: Y
Requests to Address the Senate on Non-Agenda
- Definitions of program review were discussed.
- Pres of the AS stated that the MOU document
was drafted so that program review will be used to "grow ad sustain"
programs. The document was written to protect programs.
- Concerns were raised about the wording and
language of the document concerning the budgeting role.
- Suggestions were made to add into the
preamble "as applied to academic programs" as opposed to any other
- Concerns were raised about mixing program
review with student learning outcomes.
- Senators discussed adding a bit more to the
program review draft.
- AS pres will revise and send the draft to
Senators; this will be voted on next week.
Meeting adjourned at 2:03
Minutes submitted by Schreck