COLLEGE OF MARIN
Thursday, April 26, 2007
12:45 -2:00 pm
Student Service Building,
Conference Rooms A & B
Senators Present: Yolanda Bellisimo, Barbara Bonander, Hank
Fearnley, Ron Gaiz, Deborah Graham, Erika Harkins, Patrick
Kelly, Arthur Lutz, Radica Portello, David Rollison, Sheri
Rollison, Ingrid Schreck,
John Sutherland, Blaze Woodlief
Senators Absent: Theo Fung
Approval of Agenda & Minutes
Motion made to approve the agenda
Motion made to approve the minutes
- Motion adopted with changes
The President reported the following:
The Vice President reported the following:
- A written
report was submitted
- AS President will follow up on the
application from the English Department for Program Review.
- Senator Sutherland requested that the
English Snyder letter be put on the next agenda.
The Treasurer reported the following:
- At first Bolinas meeting members will decide
on make-up of committee; identify what programs are there and
potentially what could be there; what will the lab be used for; how the
community can be enhanced; how facilities can be updated to accommodate
- A written report was submitted.
Academic Standards Committee
- A written report was submitted.
- The committee is following up on the
Technology Work Plan to make certain the goals are accomplished.
- The committee has sent recommendations to
IPC for the creation of a Distance Learning sub-committee.
Payment for Treasurer
- Senator Lutz made the following motion that:
"all officers be compensated for their work and their compensation
terms be decided by the AS; also, to redress the inequity of the
present treasurer not having been compensated for this semester that
compensation be given to the treasurer retroactive to this semester."
- Senator Bonander makes a Motion for the
AS to negotiate more units for the
future including determining the required work that is to be done prior
to the negotiation.
Expenditures for Supplies, Travel, Personnel
- The motion will be discussed and voted on
Outstanding Teachers & Staff awards
- AS voted on acceptance of expenditures
- AS voted on accepting the Outstanding
Teachers Award and the Staff Member award letter with suggested
Response to Grand Jury
Mail Room Security & Investigation
- As of April 10, 2007 we have 60 days to
respond to the Grand Jury report. The Administration, the Classified
Senate, the Student Senate and the AS were sent a letter to respond.
Our response will be submitted to the court. The document will be
brought back to the AS for review. President White also wishes to
include the AS report in the Admin report.
- The AS questioned the validity of the Grand
Jury Report due to the data the jury received; the SS voiced concerns
whether the the data was analyzed correctly. For example, CoM offers
many concurrent classes where one instructor teaches a variety of
levels in one classroom. The Grand Jury reported that the data
they received suggested that an instructor teaches to under 5
students per class. In reality, in most of these classes, the
instructor has a full classroom of students and is teaching to a
variety of levels. However, data reports are generated as if these
separate sections; in fact these are the same class.
- The AS questioned where the data sent to the
Grand Jury originated and what specific data was analyzed.
MOU on Program Review
- Chief Lacey is looking into installing
cameras in the mail room.
- The AS President will follow up on this
issue and write a letter on behalf of the AS indicating we object to
cameras installed in the mail room.
Requests to Address the Senate on Non-Agenda
- The AS reviewed the Program Review MOU and
offered feedback and revisions.
- Senator Bonander moved to approve the MOU as
- The AS will vote on this item next week.
Meeting adjourned at 2:03
Minutes submitted by Schreck