COLLEGE OF MARIN
Academic Senate Meeting Minutes
Thursday, February 15, 2007
12:45 -2:00 pm
Student Service Building,
Conference Rooms A & B
Senators Present: Yolanda Bellisimo, Barbara Bonander, Hank Fearnley, Theo Fung, Ron Gaiz, Deborah Graham, Erika Harkins, Patrick Kelly, Arthur Lutz, Radica Portello, David Rollison, Sheri Rollison, Ingrid Schreck, John Sutherland, Blaze Woodlief
Approval of Agenda & Minutes
Motion made to approve the agenda
Motion to approve the minutes
The President reported the following:
The Vice President reported the following:
The Treasurer reported the following:
Academic Standards Committee
* Revised the computer roll-over plan policy and will send it forward through governance
* A written report was submitted.
Educational Planning Committee
* The first Ed Planning Committee was held but some members could not attend the first meeting; others were not notified about the meeting. President Bellisimo stated that this committee falls under IPC which will follow up on getting the EPC started.
Senator Rollison motions to streamline process for changes in delivery methods in DE courses if changes are needed.
* motion adopted
* President Bellisimo will inform Derek Wilson, Dean Snyder and Cari Pogan to clarify this AS motion.
Senator Fearnley moved that the document regarding administrative retreat rights be approved by the AS and sent through the governance system.
* motion adopted
* The task force met and agreed on some changes to the procedures for DE students and testing.
* Senator Rollison recommended that the new policy be mailed to videocassette course and TV course students.
* Senator Fearnley recommends that the instructors affected by the policy also be given a revised copy of the policy for review.
Senator Woodlief proposed the following motion: The AS opposes the process that omitted true collegial consultation and asks that the Administration rescind the restructuring pending the outcome of program review. There should be a fast-tracked Program Review process for all restructured disciplines, beginning in March and finishing in the fall. The results of the Program Review will determine the future structure of these two disciplines. In addition, the Academic Senate leadership shall, as quickly as possible, develop a binding agreement with the Administration which requires Program Review prior to merging or restructuring departments.
* The Academic Senate came to consensus and agreed on this issue.
* Senator Sutherland asked that the AS request a response in writing from Administration.
MOU for Program review
* We need an MOU to encourage faculty participation and alleviate fears surrounding program review; the memorandum would clarify what program review could be used for.
* President Bellisiom asked for volunteers to join her in drafting an MOU. Senators Portello Gaiz and Bonander will provide input on a draft that will be presented to the Senate.
Bylaws Revisions Ad Hoc Committee
* President Bellisimo asks for volunteers to revise the Bylaws. Senators were asked to e-mail the President if they are interested in working on the revision.
Ian Walton's Suggested Meeting Improvements
* Discussion tabled until next meeting
Patty Okeefewill visit next week to student learing outcomes with the Senate.
The timeline for the election will be an action item for next week.
Requests to Address the Senate on Non-Agenda Items
Meeting adjourned at 2:00 pm
Minutes submitted by Schreck