COLLEGE OF MARIN

Academic Senate Meeting Minutes

Thursday, November 30, 2006

12:45 -2:00 pm

Student Service Building,

Conference Rooms A & B

 

Senators Present: Barbara Bonander, Hank Fearnley, Theo Fung, Ron Gaiz, Deborah Graham, Patrick Kelly, Arthur Lutz, Radica Portello, David Rollison, Sheri Rollison, Ingrid Schreck, John Sutherland, Blaze Woodlief

 

Senators Absent: Yolanda Bellisimo, Erika Harkins

 

Guests: Bernie Blackman, Hoa Long, James P. Geraghty, Maula Allen, Peggy Dodge, Anita Martinez

 

·          VP Kelly presided over the meeting due to the absence of the AS President.

 

Approval of Agenda & Minutes          

 

Motion made to approve the agenda

·          Motion adopted

 

Senator Fearnley moved to move matter of Academic Standards Procedure and the program review up on the agenda.

·          Motion passes

 

Motion to approve the minutes

·          Motion adopted as amended

 

Officers’ Reports

 

The VP reported the following:

·          EOPS and DSPS students will have priority registration for one day exclusively and then will have open enrollment for the rest of the enrollment period.

·          In a meeting with President White, she reported that first Bolinas Lab task force meeting will be the first week of the spring semester; the new chair of the task force--the president of the Point Reyes Bird Observatory--will be in touch with the task force.

·          The DMC reported that wrong numbers were used for the space allocation for the Auto Tech Building;  Ed code regulations and Chancellor office regulations were incorrect in the books; as a result, the decision to use the bigger  numbers  would be used; consequently, the square footage allocation based on 2004 auto tech data was changed to almost the same size as they have now; so, the team went back to the drawing board to decide whether it is more economically feasible to remodel and update the current building rather than build a new building. Originally all facilities to be rebuilt was to be done by a cost analysis based on remodeling versus building new. The modernization team reported: “Since we were going to take half their space, we decided early to give them a new building.”  It looks like because of economic factors, auto tech will be remodeled instead of rebuilt. Since the budget for the new 10,000 square foot building is equal to the remodeled 19,000 square foot building, it stands to reason that if you double the size of the new building you double the budget and they are most likely not going to do that.

o         The VP will follow up with the modernization team to find out who made the decision to remodel rather than rebuild.

·          The Science and Math Center created a presentation to look at the minimum amount of space needed for their new building. They programmed every class that will teach in those spaces and placed them in a chart that shows the absolute minimum of space needed for Math & Science. When the amount of office space allocated for all part-time staff, classified, and lab techs was calculated it came to 10 square feet per person. These findings were to be presented at the next DMC meeting, but the DMC meeting was cancelled and re-scheduled for December 11. Since the next board meeting is on the 12th, the discussion of the Health/Science/Math building concerns will not be addressed until the January board meeting, which is a problem since the architects have already been hired.   The concern is that there is a 20,000 foot discrepancy on what is allocated for Science and what is needed.

·          According to the DMC meeting the board has requested that all new buildings be 50% “off of the grid” when it comes to electricity, which is about 25 million, 10% of the bond; the bond spending plan & proposal will have to be completely reworked if you have to cut 25 million.

 

The Treasurer reported the following:

·          The balance is $2,583.19 after a check was deposited for $118, which is what AS gets from paycheck contributions each month.

 

Standing Reports

Curriculum Committee

·          Many courses need to be approved and the committee is trying to approve everything for spring/summer schedule.

·          A written report was submitted.

 

Academic Standards Committee

·          An e-mail report was submitted from the committee.

 

Community Education

·          No report

 

Technology Committee

·          No report

 

Budget Committee

o         Committee is undergoing training line item by line item and in what constitutes the make up of particular accounts.

o         The committee attended a joint meeting with IPC to determine the roles of these committees and plans to meet jointly once a month.

§          Senator Fung requested that the committee deliver a calendar for the dates of budget development and that these items be included in the report to the AS. For example, what is the time line for budget development and at what point does the budget committee have a role?

§          The VP suggested that the budget process be a future discussion item on the agenda.

§          Senator D. Rollison recommended that if planning is to drive budget then it may be time to get the EMP out of the draft stage and into some more finalized stage.

 

Time Sensitive Discussion Items

 

Language Change in Academic Standards Policy Discussion

 

The VP met with Academic Standards committee and reported that the committee needs the appropriate resources in order to complete their work. The Academic Standards committee requested the presence of Dean of Enrollment Services at every meeting.

 

There is a question as to whether any subcommittee of the Academic Senate is subject to the Brown Act. We need legal clarification on whether the Academic Standards committee is subject to open meeting laws; if the committee to these laws, the Academic Standards committee would need to be reconfigured.

 

·          The AS will seek a legal clarification on this.

 

Senator Bonander made a motion to revise Academic Standards Committee Policy to read:

 

one Administrator—one non-voting administrator, Dean of Enrollment Services and any other non-voting individual that the committee requests.

o         Motion tabled until next week.

 

       Senator D. Rollison motioned to leave the original language for item f and last 2 sentences on page 15.

o         Motion tabled until next week.

 

     Program Review Discussion

 

o         Senator Woodlief moved to approve the Program Review document with the elimination of any discussion of program discontinuance.

§          Motion tabled until next week

 

Sutherland requests retreat right policy be moved to the top of agenda next week.

 

Senator Woodlief moved that the AS pay the Brown Act trainer.

·          Motion tabled until next week.

Meeting adjourned at 2:03

Minutes submitted by Schreck