COLLEGE OF MARIN
Academic Senate Meeting Minutes
Thursday, November 9, 2006
12:45 -2:00 pm
Student Service Building,
Conference Rooms A & B
Senators Present: Yolanda Bellisimo, Barbara Bonander, Hank Fearnley, Theo Fung, Ron Gaiz, Deborah Graham, Erika Harkins, Patrick Kelly, Arthur Lutz, Radicia Portello, David Rollison, Sheri Rollison, Ingrid Schreck, John Sutherland, Blaze Woodlief
Guests: Bernie Blackman, Becky Reetz, Peggy Dodge, Sara McKinnon
Motion made to suspend the rules and discuss the advanced placement equivalency issue
AS gave Academic Standards Committee consent to act on advanced placement equivalency.
Approval of Agenda & Minutes
Motion made to approve the agenda
Motion to approve the minutes dated November 2, 2006
Vice President’s Report:
The Treasurer’s report
· A written report was submitted.
Academic Standards Committee
· No report
· Com Education is publishing the schedule for all the performing art programs, which has not been done in the past.
· Commu nity Education is also working with the Center for Regenerative Design in the “Speaker Series” which are free to the public and which will be published in the Community Education program; topics include architecture, food handling, water purification, transportation issues, and these will start once a month during the spring.
· The Committee is researching Learning Management Systems (such as Blackboard, Etudes, etc.) to insure the direction of the instructional technology planning meets CoMs needs.
· The committee is also working on policies for acceptable use, e-mail, etc.
· The committee is also developing a rollover plan that meets the vision of the tech committee in terms of how equipment decisions drive instructional technology planning.
Institutional Planning Committee
· The IPC has formed a writing group to revise the program review piece.
· The committee recommends that program review should be organized from the “bottom up”—governed by the people in each program who determine their own goals for their program rather than program review being defined by the goals of the institution and the EMP.
· The terminology of document is being changed to less punitive, more positive language.
Senate Participation in WASC Visit
Senator Lutz requests a roll call vote:
Fearnley: yes; Fung: yes; Sutherland: yes; Rollison, D: yes; Rollison, S: yes; Graham: yes; Portello: yes; Gaiz: yes; Bonander: yes; Kelly: yes; Lutz: yes; Harkins: yes; Woodlief: yes; Schreck: yes; Bellisimo: yes.
Board approved shared Governance
· President Bellisimo reminded the Senate that the Senate cannot nullify a referendum of the faculty and further that a motion cannot be made if the motion requests an action that is already being followed—in this case the Senate following approved board policy.
· The motion will be tabled until next week.
Meeting adjourned at 1:58 pm
Minutes submitted by Schreck