Academic Senate Minutes for meeting on September 14, 2006 at 12:45 pm in Conference Rooms A & B in the Student Services Building.
COLLEGE OF MARIN
Academic Senate Meeting Minutes
Thursday, September 14, 2006
12:45 -2:00 pm
Student Service Building,
Conference Rooms A & B
1. Call to Order
Senators Present: Yolanda Bellisimo, Barbara Bonander, Hank Fearnley, Theo Fung, Ron Gaiz, Deborah Graham, Erika Harkins, Patrick Kelly, Arthur Lutz, Radicia Portello, David Rollison, Ingrid Schreck, John Sutherland, Blaze Woodlief.
Senators Absent: Sheri Rollison
Guests: Bernie Blackman, Michael Brailoff, Peggy Dodge
2. Approval and Adoption of Agenda
· Discussion on adoption of agenda.
· Point of order made by Senator Schreck: There should be no debate on a matter before a motion has been made.
· Senator D. Rollison made a motion to change order of the Academic Standards item 6a to new business
· Motion adopted after discussion
3. Approval of Minutes:
4. Officers’ Reports
The President reported the following:
· The President, Vice-President, and Secretary of Academic Senate met with classified senate & union.
· The President and Vice-President attended the District Modernization Committee meeting; Bill Abright & President Bellisimo will be serving on the committee.
· Senator Portello will be serving on the Curriculum Committee and will be reporting to the AS.
· The State Senate will have a plenary session Oct 26-28; if other senators are interested in attending they should contact the President.
· A new format for the agenda will be considered and will be a future discussion item.
· Margaret Elliot reported that the bylaws of the Foundation state that faculty or staff cannot serve on their board while our bylaws state otherwise.
· Modernization process updates are available online on college homepage.
· A secretary for the Senate office is needed to update files, to archive minutes and agendas, to organize checklists & timelines, and to put office back in compliance; part of AS budget will be used for this need.
· Most committee members have reported participation or resignation, except for D. Martin, John Sutherland, David Rollison, Theo Fung. The President requested that these members report to the President after the meeting.
· The President and Vice President met with Pres. White to discuss the connection of planning & budget, the process of evaluations, the creation of a system that is transparent, the use of evaluation and planning software tools for data driven decision making processes, the establishment of a procedure to insure collegial consultation process
· Emeritus letter will be sent out to those that retire.<>The Vice President reported the following:
The Treasurer reported the following:
· $2,464.55 in budget account
· The funds are in checking account in Novato
· The funds come from payroll deductions
· The President requested a written report of budget
· The President stated she will follow up on getting permissions to the budget account
5. Standing Reports:
· Senator Portello will attend future meetings
Academic Standards Committee
· President stated she will follow up and research district policy on legal ramifications of faculty liability
· UPM Recommendation: Do not extend deadline
Community Education (action)
· Senator Harkins reports on the status of the Board Policy Programs for Older Adults (Emeritus College)
· Senator Bonander made a motion to accept the Board Policy: Programs for Older Adults (Emeritus College)
· Motion adopted
6. Old Business
· Michael Brailoff reported on Senate Goals document
o Vice-President Kelly moved the adoption of a resolution which, after discussion and amendment was adopted as follows: “The Academic Senate shall send the document titled Senate Goals dated 5/04/06 back to IPC for review & comment with the following additions (in bold) to the original document:
1) Consistent with the contract section 8.1.2, and consistent with the principles of academic freedom, participation in program review and/or effectiveness assessments shall be voluntary for each faculty member. There shall be no penalties, retaliation or discrimination imposed on faculty who choose not to participate in program review or effectiveness assessments.
5) Individual faculty must be trained in the use of each effectiveness criterion, and each assessment option, through an Academic Senate sponsored, controlled, and UPM approved staff development program. Attendance shall be voluntary.
· The President’s Evaluation was tabled for next the agenda
· Senator D. Rollison moved that the Senate table the item of administrative retreat rights and requested that the board of trustees also table the item pending a revision by a subcommittee of the Academic Senate (made up of Senators Rollison, Fearnley and Sutherland) given the new information from the union’s attorney.
o Motion adopted after discussion
Meeting adjourned at 2:12
Minutes submitted by Schreck