Minutes for meeting on May 18, 2006 at 12:45 pm in
Conference Rooms A & B in the Student Services Building.
Fearnley, Graham, Harkins, Hinds, Langinger,
Portello, Priewe, Ritchie, D. Rollison, Schreck, Sutherland
Bernie Blackman, Michael Brailoff, Rinetta Early, James Garieghty,
Patrick Kelly, Blaze Woodlief
1 - Agenda:
- MP/EH Approved as amended
- HF/DG Approved
2 - Minutes:
- JL/HF Approved. One abstention.
3 - President Report:
- David reported the results of the election:
Re-elected: Ingrid Schreck
- Ron Gaiz, Arthur Lutz, Patrick Kelly, Blaze Woodlief
- David thanked everyone on the committee as well as Carmel.
- David announced that during the second week of the next semester the
will hold its first meeting and hold elections for the senate office
which end this term.
- Yolanda reported on the number of votes, broken down as follows:
- Part Time Ballots sent 183 returned 75, Non Credit sent 106 returned 27
Full Time sent 129 returned 100
- Hank thanked the committee.
- Yolanda thanked Deborah and Erika.
- John Sutherland thanked the senators who were leaving the senate. Harriet
Eskildsen, John Hinds,
Jeannie Langinger, Matthew
M Priewe, A.Joe Ritchie
- David passed out thank you items to various senators leaving the senate.
- David announced the names for faculty and staff appreciation awards
according to the published process. Those who received the most
would receive the award. They are as follows:
Time Faculty-- Jeannie Langinger
Yolanda Van Ecke
Staff --Jo Ellen Fitzgerald
senate voted to accept these award winners. One abstension
- David addressed the confusion regarding the evaluation of managers. He
out that the Senate may hold an evaluation separate from the process
that the President
presented to the Senate. Anyone who wished to participate in the
proposed process should so do.
- IPC and Budget committees have held their last meetings. Other
not meet during the summer.
- Program review will be revisited by IPC, but Anita and David discussed
would not be used to reduce programs. Additionally the EMP needs
and the section IV needs to be added.
Senate Minutes for May 18, 2006
- A petition presented to David, regarding the reinstatement of the Part
Instructor who was denied a seat, was read. The senate debated the
Motion: HF/JF The senate rejects the petition and reaffirms the previous senate
decision. Approved One abstention
5 - Agenda item:
- Joe Mueller and Fernando Agudelo-Silva presented
regarding an on going effort on the part of faculty to develop an
science program. The units were not available in the past. Recently the
has been told they might have units available. The department has been
on the issue and program for many years and wishes to make the Senate
- Joe also made an announcement that the Bolinas lab can be used during
summer. A task force will be formed to revisit the issue.
- David suggested that Joe and Fernado review the stated goals in the EMP
reference them in the formal development of issues related to the
- John S. pointed out that the Senate should review the development of
for such a program.
- Hank asked if the program review would be a process that would look to
kind of issue. Anita responded that the issue should be developed
through the Senate’s
oversight committees. She agreed that administrators should be
- David did get a response from the union’s legal council. The union
request to have him issue a statement regarding the involvement of the
in the modernization process. It should be available in the summer or
6 – Vice-President Report:
- John reported on the previous board meeting
the enrollment task force report was questioned and perhaps
- He reported that David requested a response to the “Faculty
Meeting” resolution previously presented to the board.
- John S. reported that Michael Brailoff presented the IPC with what
could be a
part of section IV of the EMP for the faculty role in assessment. He
recommended that each group could present a similar type proposal to
- The governance system review and evaluation will be presented to the
and staff next fall.
7 – Treasurers Report:
8 – Academic standards:
9 – Curriculum Committee:
- Jeannie reported that course review will take
during a voluntary meeting during finals week.
10 – Community Educations:
- Erika reported that they will have a party
Roberts who is leaving the College.
- She discussed the award for the community Ed faculty and some confusion
11 – EMP:
12 – Technology Committee:
- Ingrid reported that David Kern reported
inventory group would be disposing equipment and need information and
process for reuse has been identified.
- Yolanda asked about the change in the college FQDN. She asked if it
require any effort on the part of individuals. David understood that it
be done by IT and updating business cards was the only future issue to
handled by individuals.
- John S. asked about the various wireless installations that have been
if the committee had been involved in the process. Ingrid stated that
the IVC presence
was developed for MSAT and the other was for the demos of the ERP. John
pointed out that MSAT developed its own.
- Ingrid stated that she was informed that the committee could advise,
recommendations only to the various committees, and that administration
make the implementation decisions.
- David requested that the Senate amend the agenda to remove the
and SLO issues. The senate agreed.
14 – Agenda item on cell
- Mike Ransom brought the issue of the use of cell phones as a device to
in taking tests. Discussion ensued.
- Yolanda recommended a task force to develop a policy and present it to
- Hank pointed out that he had a no use of electronic equipment during
exams as a
- John H. pointed out that it would be important to have a written policy
and the use of electronic devices, so the faculty could relay on the
policy to back up the in class testing procedure.
- David suggested that it might be a sub-committee of technology.
15 – Agenda item on
- John S. reviewed an event regarding a student and an
the student cheated on an exam administered in the testing office.
was formed according to policy and reviewed the issue and determined
student did not cheat on the exam. Arthur Lutz had brought this
issue to the
senate’s attention previously. The decision was overturned by the
- Johns question to the Senate is if the Senate wishes to continue
a participatory position on this review panel or discontinuing its
read from the policy and pointed out it was quite clear that the panel
final ruling in the matter.
- Jeannie wanted to be sure that the issue of the students ability to
the program as an allegation was being determined to be true or not.
this to be fair for the student. She recommended future revisions in
procedure to protect the students place in the program.
- Hank added that the Senate should consider action regarding the
overturning of the
- Anita asked to have a chance to work with the Senate on this issue.
- Hank also wanted to consider how to return the student to the position
prior to the allegation.
- Motion: HF/DG The senate protests the action of the Dean and to have the Senate
and Vice-President work with Anita to review the issues surrounding
develop recommendations. Approved
- Barbara announced that Sara Mckinnon declined the award and recommended
candidate brought by Erika receive the award, Marty Meade.
16 – Meeting adjourned:
- minutes submitted by