A.A.Cantin designed the first permanent building on campus, constructed by contractor Wallace Snelgrove in 1927 for a total cost of $37,500 including equipment. The building housed the Chemistry Laboratory and other science classes. The library and campus store were temporarily housed in a large room in the west wing of the building.
This building, completed in December 1929 for $53,600, was designed by A.A.Cantin and built by Younger and Horstmeyer in 65 days. The second permanent building on the Marin Junior College Campus initially named the Administration Building, it was renamed in 1938 after George H. Harlan, an attorney and the first president of the Board of Trustees. The most notable feature of the building was its bell tower.
The victory bell tradition, with the winner of the Marin-Santa Rosa game taking possession of the bell, started in 1938. Enterprising Mariners cemented the bell in front of Fusselman Library in 1947 to prevent its theft by Santa Rosa Junior College students. The rivalry ended in 1953 when Santa Rosa moved to a different conference.
|Fine Arts Center
Board President Elizabeth Deedy, Art Instructor Ed Cadogan and President Stephen Eppler are shown here viewing the construction of the north and south wings of the present Fine Arts Center. The building was dedicated in 1952. The third wing that houses the Fine Arts Theater was completed in 1966.
A World War II barracks was remodeled in 1947 at a cost of $32,000 to serve as College of Marin's cafeteria and student bookstore. The building housed a soda fountain and a juke box and served as a social and study center for the campus. It was torn down in 1966 when the Elizabeth Deedy Student Services Center was completed.
to the College of Marin Photo Archives Introduction
Return to the Learning Resources Center