Built in 1876 and purchased by the Tamalpais High School District in 1924 for $30,000, the 13-acre Butler Estate became the Marin Junior College in August 1926. The Butler home provided space for administrative offices, and classrooms for 140 students and faculty. In 1931, it also housed the cafeteria.
|Student Body of 1927
The 1927 student body is pictured on the steps of the Butler Building. The building was torn down in 1951 to make way for the north wing of the Fine Arts Center.
|Marin Junior College Administration and Faculty in 1931
In five years from 1926 to 1931, a faculty of six with one administrator and 85 full-time students had grown to 17 faculty members, two administrators, 425 full-time students, and over 200 part-time students.
The first gym, built at a cost of $57,000 in 1931, was constructed on College Avenue on the 10-acre site purchased from Ernesto Corvi for $26,000. The original plan called for a second identical gym to house girls’ athletics. This building was never constructed. The Gym, located across the street from the present post office, burned in December 1963.
|Hello Day: 1952
The Hello Day Committee is pictured here preparing for an annual event that brought seniors from local high schools to the campus to tour departments and socialize with College of Marin students.
to the College of Marin Photo Archives Introduction
Return to the Learning Resources Center