Skip to Content  |   A to Z Index  |   Kentfield Campus  |   Indian Valley Campus

College of Marin
Financial Aid
Home New Students - Prospective Students Current Students of College of Marin Colletge of Marin Faculty and Staff About the College of Marin College of Marin Search Engine
Financial Aid Rules

For Students who receive Aid & Drop all their Classes

If you get a GRANT and then WITHDRAW from all your classes, you may OWE money back to the federal program.

A student’s withdrawal date for the purpose of calculating repayment will be:

  • The date the student provides notification in writing (drop card) to the Admissions and Records office of his/her intent to withdraw, or,
  • The midpoint of the semester for students who do not officially withdraw, or,
  • The date posted by the instructor indicating the student’s last date of attendance in class.

The Financial Aid Office will identify on a weekly basis through the 60% point in the semester all students who completely withdraw. According to the day you withdraw, the Financial Aid Office will calculate the part of the grant “earned” and the part of the grant that was “unearned”. The Financial Aid Office will then calculate the amount of aid owed back according to the Federal Regulations.

NOTE: If students withdraw after they have earned 60% of their grant, they do not owe any repayment.

Students will be billed for the amount of Federal Aid they are required to repay. If a student fails to repay the debt due, the student will be reported to the Department of Education. Students owing a grant repayment are not eligible for any federal financial aid until the debt is repaid. This includes all schools.

If you receive LOAN money and withdraw, you will pay back the money according to the normal rules of the loan program.

If you receive College WORK Study funds and withdraw, you do not owe anything back. You always get to keep salary you have earned.

Students thinking of withdrawing or just leaving should first visit the Financial Aid Office to discuss their academic or personal reasons for leaving.

Students may want to consider staying and taking fewer courses, or utilizing support services (like tutoring, or personal support). Students should also talk to an academic counselor and see what advice and help they can provide

back to top

Financial Aid webpage
Tehnical Responsible: Andrea Hunter, Enrollment Services Associate, 415.485.9422
Content Responsible: Diane Traversi, Dean of Enrollment Services, 415.485.9414