USING THE WRITING CENTER
General Information about using Computer Stations
This Center uses a Terminal Server, which requires a couple easy steps. You will need to use the Terminal Session in order to use Word or the Internet and in order to print.
TERMINAL SESSION ACCESS:
1) Find and maximize the terminal session icon found on the grey task bar at the bottom of the screen.
2) Double click onto the “terminal server” icon and log on by simply typing the password “student.” (Notice the username and password are provided beneath your computer screen.)
STORAGE DEVICE ADVICE:
In order to save and
retrieve files, you will need a storage device and a USB flash drive is your
√ Using CDs
· CDRs or CDRWs are highly discouraged.
· Data cannot be saved since the computers are not equipped with a CD Burner.
√ Using Floppy Disks
· Floppy Disks are not recommended.
· Data is often not retrievable because floppy disks often malfunction for no apparent reason.
· Data is retrievable and savable using the A drive.
√ Using USB Flash Drives
· USB Flash Drives are highly recommended.
· Data is retrievable and savable using the removable disk drive or D drive.
√ Using the Printer
· Troubleshooting problems
· If your file won’t print, be sure the right printer is selected by asking a tutor or teacher to help you.
· If your file won’t print, check to see if paper is loaded in the printer by asking a tutor or teacher to help you.
· If your file won’t print, avoid giving the computer the print command more than one time because this will create unnecessary waste of paper and ink. Ask a tutor or teacher to help you.
What can I do at the computer station?
You can use Microsoft Word and the Internet and you can print five pages of school related material for free.
How do I log on to use a computer?
You can type the password “student” listed at the below the computer screen.
What do I do if I can’t log on?
If you are not able to log on, look for the username and password instructions beneath the computer screen. Have you typed the correct information?
What should I do if I can’t access Microsoft Word?
If you can’t access Microsoft Word, then you need to access the Terminal Session. See the access instructions above.
What should I see on my desktop in order to know I am in the right place?
You should see nine icons to the left of the screen, among which are Internet Explorer and Microsoft Word.
What is the yellow bar at the top of the screen?
Even though it may look odd, the terminal session bar indicates you are in the right place.
How do I save if I don't have a storage device?
You can save to the My Documents folder, but this folder is deleted frequently and you should have your own storage device. These are available at low cost in the College of Marin bookstore or your local office supply store.
How do I save writing to a floppy disk?
Insert the disk gently into the floppy disk drive. Open Microsoft Word and open or create a document. Be sure to save your work to the A drive.
How do I know that I have saved writing to my floppy disk?
To locate saved writing in Microsoft Word, you can click “file” and “open” and “look in” and select the correct drive—the A drive. The A drive is always the floppy disk drive. Find the file in the look-in window.
How do I save writing to a USB flash drive?
Use the USB port found to the right of and below the computer monitor. Insert the drive gently. Open Microsoft Word and open or create a document. Be sure to save your work to the “removable disk” D drive.
How do I safety remove my USB flash Drive?
How do I know that I have saved work to my USB flash drive?
To locate saved work in Microsoft Word, you can click “file” and “open” and “look in” and select the correct drive—the removable disk drive. In LC 110 the removable disk drive is the D drive. On computers elsewhere the removable disk drive is commonly (but not always) the E drive.
What should I do if I can’t find a file in the look-in window?
In the look-in window, check to see that “files of all types” are being shown.
How can I insure my work will not be lost?
To insure that work will be saved, save your writing periodically—every ten minutes or so—and print your work after each writing session. In addition, some students recommend you email work to yourself in case you forget or lose your storage device. This is wise.
What if I can't find Microsoft Word on my task bar?
If you minimize Word and can’t find your writing, you
may find the task bar is hidden. Try clicking and dragging the grey section
near the bottom of your screen to locate the hidden task bar.
What happens if I minimize windows and can't find them?
you can’t find minimized windows, you may find the task bar is hidden. Try
clicking and dragging the grey section near the bottom of your screen to locate
the hidden task bar.
What are some useful keyboard short cuts?
Open file = Ctrl and O
Save file = Ctrl and S
Select Text = Ctrl and A
Copy Text = Ctrl and C
Paste Text = Ctrl and V
Print Text = Ctrl and P
Toggle = Alt and Tab
How do I toggle from window to window?
Toggling means to go back and forth from window to window. If you have multiple windows open and want to move between them, such as going from Microsoft Word to your class Web site (an open browser window), then you can strike Alt and Tab at the same time to view and select open windows.