Writing Center (Lab
You Come to the Writing Center
- Always sign in on computer before you
use the Writing Center.
a signature from a Lab Instructor or T.A.
before you leave. Keep your signature sheet in a safe placeto verify
the dates and times you visited the lab should your instructor request
use the time in the lab is up to your instructor. Here
are some possibilities:
- Tutors can help you refine
your writing process by sharing techniques for prewriting, drafting,
revising, and proofreading.
- Come prepared to discuss your
- Bring your instructor’s
directions, and think about questions to ask the tutor such as:
- Is my thesis clear?
- Does my evidence strongly
support my thesis?
- Is my paper easy to follow?
Is it organized logically?
- Have I chosen the appropriate
writing style for my audience?
You may want to see a tutor several
times during the course of writing a paper to work on different writing
tasks. Tutors are more likely to focus on content
first, then grammar.
- Research the Internet on your
- Consult writing reference
- Compose your paper on
- Bring along an IBM formatted
disk or flash drive to save your work.
- Explore writing resources
- Take a writing diagnostic
- Complete a practice exercise
to develop specific skills.
hours will be posted at each location)
Offices in HC
If you cannot meet with a tutor
on campus, visit
our online Writing Center at: http://marin.edu/services/owc.htm