Content Review Matrix
To demonstrate appropriateness of prerequisite
Proposed prerequisite: English 98, Fundamentals of Composition I
List of activities in English 98 that promote specific skills needed in English 120.
1) Develop vocabulary and language
awareness as introduction to college
level reading skills. Read model
2) Employ various rhetorical modes—
3) Write paragraphs on particular
themes; observe standard paragraph
format: topic sentence, support,
conclusion. Begin essay writing.
4) Write personal and issue-based
paragraphs that require formulating
generalizations drawn from personal
experience (and short readings).
5) Begin to develop argumentative skills
by emphasizing logical relationship
between topic sentence and
6) Learn rules of standard written
English: usage, grammar,
punctuation. Learn parts of speech,
with emphasis on conjunctions—
subordinators and coordinators—to
Course: English 120
Specific skills needed in English 120
1) Ability to read essays, short stories,
materials from periodicals as bases
for essay writing.
2) Ability to use a variety of rhetorical
modes to organize essays and to
3) Ability to write short essays on
particular topics and observe
standard essay format—thesis
statement, topic sentence, support,
4) Ability to write personal and issue-
based essays and formulate
generalizations drawn from readings
and from personal experience.
5) Ability to write short argumentative
essays and analyze common logical
flaws in readings.
6) Knowledge of standard English usage, appropriate diction, grammar, sentence variety, etc.