Assignments for Chapter 7:
This Assignment Due: Within one week
1.) Here are some suggestions for the Writing Improvement Exercise, beginning on page 182. Do not turn in, but match your answers with these:
16. Credit cards are no longer accepted for purchases under $5.
17. Patients will not be examined until their insurance has been verified. OR: Patients will be examined after their insurance has been verified.
18. Health and dental benefits are not offered until employees have been on the job for 12 months.
19. Arrangements were made for the investors to have lunch after the tour.
20. Large SUVs are not covered by your insurance.
21. Company tours are being postponed indefinitely because of security concerns.
22. Although your complete order cannot be shipped at this time, two corner workstations should arrive within five days.
23. Although we no longer print a complete catalog, we now offer all of our catalog choices at our Website, which is always current.
24. Although an employment offer cannot be extended at this time, we appreciate your interest in our organization.
25. Although smoking is not allowed within 5 feet of a state building, the college has set aside 16 outdoor smoking areas.
Implying Bad News
26. We have your fresh fruit basket ready and will rush it to its destination as soon as you call us with your credit card number.
27. Although all our present funds are needed to lease new equipment and offices for our latest branch in Richmond, we hope to be able to support this endeavor in the future.
28. Because many staffers will be working on the Osgood Project until June 1, a retreat may be scheduled after that date.
2.) After reading the chapter, complete the Grammar Mechanics Checkup on Commas, page 190. Do not turn in, but check your answers on page K-1. Continue to build your knowledge of comma usage with this exercise.
3.) Sharper your revision skills with the Grammar/Mechanics Challenge –7 on page 191. Can you find approximately 22 corrections needed in this document? Do not send the exercise to me, but complete the exercise and compare your answers with these.
4.) Turn in this one-page letter assignment:
Page 189—Case Video Library 2: Bad News: Buy Costumes
Review how to deliver bad news in this chapter, then apply your knowledge of the writing plan for this bad news letter. Use the letter style on page A-4, label your information in the upper right corner, and don’t forget the dateline on the left margin of the letter. As usual, single space the letter using the Word default font, Calibri, 11 point.
Find the video at www.meguffey.com. Look for the box labeled Videos at the right of the page for Chapter 7.
Please send your letter by E-mail attachment and put Video Case in your E-mail subject line.