Assignments for Chapter 5: Please go to your COM portal and verify that your PERSONAL email address is current. I would like to use those addresses for class mailings. If you have redirected you MyCom email to another preferred email address, that is fine.
This Assignments Due: Within one week
1.) Here are some suggested solutions for message openers, opening paragraphs and bulleted and numbered lists starting on page 121. Do not turn in this assignment—just study the suggested “slice and dice” revisions, especially #20 and #21. Study the logic in these revisions.
20. Terence Curran, Cindy Thompson, and Darlene McClure will attend a seminar on severance and separation benefits on February 11.
21. As an Intel employee, you are eligible for a Buying Power Card that entitles you to discounts on auto repair, carpet purchases, travel arrangements, and many other services.
Bulleted and Numbered Lists: (Notice how they start with an action verb.)
22. You can avoid frustration and produce excellent digital prints by following three steps:
23. Calibrate your screen using the Pantone Spyder.
24. Edit your image so that it looks natural and balanced.
25. Configure your printer and select the correct paper type.
26. To write for the Web, follow three important tips:
· Simplify your formatting.
· Use strong visual prompts.
· Limit needless directions.
24. Crime prevention and safety measures are just as important at work as they are at home, says the National Crime Prevention Council. Some important tips for preventing crime and improving workplace safety are the following:
· Change locks before you move into a new office.
· Report immediately all doors, windows, and locks that are not working.
· Leave some interior lights on even when the business is closed.
· Illuminate dark places around the building by adding lighting and trimming shrubs.
2.) Following the hard-copy memo format example on page 106 (not an E-mail format), turn in this memo assignment:
Chapter 5 Assignment, page 126—# 5.10 Response Memo: Rescheduling Interviews to Accommodate a Traveling Boss
Tips: Write your memo one day, then reread it the next day to see if it can be improved. Use WORD’s spell check and proofread your document well. Read it out loud to a friend for feedback. Present the information for the three interviews in a table with logical headings. To achieve single spacing in Word, go to the Home tab and choose Styles, Change Styles, Style Set, choose Word 2003. This restores Word to single spacing with no spacing before or after paragraphs.
This is the first assignment graded as a letter grade. For grading criteria, see the Grading and Procedures link on our Website. Don’t forget to label the assignment with your Last name, First name, Assignment 5.10, and the current date, aligned on the right margin. This is a chance to show what you have learned in the first five chapters in the text.
Reminder: Everyone can have two rewrites in this course. The highest grade attainable for a rewrite is a “B” grade. If you receive a “C” or “D” on an assignment, for example, you may rewrite it and try for the higher grade of “B”.