Assignments for Chapter 6:
This Assignment Due: Within one week
1.) Here are some solutions for exercises beginning on page 150. See how the following solutions make for a more readable sentence.
21. Please answer the following questions about becoming an affiliate of Green Living Spaces, which I learned about at your Website.
22. Yes, we do offer our Mediterranean-style patio umbrella in two colors: off white and forest green.
23. Yes, I would be happy to talk about digital resumes and portfolios at your business administration club meeting May 6.
24. Yes, you may send your Pilgrim DVD player directly to our Atlanta plant for inspection.
25. You will receive a corrected invoice within two days, and you may use your account again.
26. Because of the delay in delivery of your hardwood floors, we want you to have a 10 percent discount on the total cost of your shipment. Your flooring is scheduled to arrive in one week. We trust that this discount and the arrival of your flooring will lighten your spirit and will prove our commitment to customer service. We look forward to serving you and your friends with quality flooring products in the future.
2.) After reading the chapter, complete the Grammar Mechanics Checkup on Commas, page 158. Do not turn in, but complete sentences 1-15. Knowing the comma rules will add strength to your writing, and you’ll grow more confident with every rule you master. Remember: Commas are our friends . . . If you know when to use them. Check your answers on page K-1. If you have a copy of my book, ask me for the three-step process for learning grammar rules.
3.) Case 6.12, Page 155—Direct Reply: Going River Rafting
Use the letter format, shown on page 136, for a full-block letter. Do you see how all keyboarding begins at the left margin? Reminder: Set your Word to single space by clicking on No Spacing in the Styles Group on the Home Page. Continue to add your heading to this letter, as shown in Assignments for Lesson 1. Preparing a letterhead is optional. Include specific Web addresses in your letter and include representative weekly prices given by the Website. Use Word’s spell check (Review Tab, click on Spelling and Grammar.) Proofread the document well. Read the letter aloud to catch errors.
Send your memo to me via an E-mail attachment, putting Case 6.12 in the subject line of your E-mail message. Do not include copies of findings; I will see your search results in the memo.