Faculty Support Services
Time: 12:00 to 1:30 PM
Place: SMN 130
Open Lab for all Moodle users!
Drop-in to discuss any Moodle questions including posting files, videos; organizing class pages; inserting images; combining files in folders; using Moodle tools, books, and student-created glossaries; drag ‘n’ drop functionality; setting up the gradebook, etc.
Upcoming Dates: All in SMN 130
|noon to 1:30 PM|
|noon to 1:30 PM|
|noon to 1:30 PM|
Keeping up With Moodle
- All COM courses have an online component available through Moodle, COM’s adopted Learning Management System. If you have any questions related to previous courses materials posted in course studio pages or you need more information or training about how to use Moodle, contact MoodleHelp@marin.edu for further assistance.
- Login to MyCOM to access Moodle. In Moodle, you can view your course schedule, access your course home pages, communicate with your students, and post course-related materials.
- If you have technical issues or questions regarding your MyCOM username and password, please refer to the MyCOM FAQ.
- Visit the DE Student Support Services webpage to see student services that are available online to all students. Student support services information is also available on the Distance Education tab through MyCOM.
ADA Best Practice Reminders: Hints and Tips from Kathleen Smyth
Here are some resources and reminders to help as you prepare your course materials.
The Flex training session, Preparing Word Documents Using Universal Design Principles, included this handout with links to external resources. If you have more questions, feel free to contact MoodleHelp@marin.edu. To have your course or course materials reviewed for accessibility, contact Kathleen Smyth, the DE Faculty Facilitator.
Here are a few handouts with instructions on common tasks for instructors using Moodle whether teaching face-to-face or online:
- How to post a document to your Moodle course
- How to send messages emails to your students using Moodle
- How to use Moodle to create a printable roster
- How to forward MyCOM email
- How to export your Moodle gradebook
- How to backup your Moodle course
If you would like more assistance with Moodle, send an email to MoodleHelp@marin.edu with your questions.
The Faculty Distance Education Committee has its own Moodle site. When in Moodle, under "my courses," DEC members will see the course "group.DEC." Choose that link and take a look. This is a convenient place for communication, agendas, minutes etc. and a useful source of information on DE. For more information, contact Kathleen Smyth, the DE Faculty Facilitator.
Moodle ABCs workshops are designed to get instructors up and running quickly so you can access Moodle via the My COM portal, post class materials online and communicate with your students. Although Moodle is often used to deliver full online and hybrid courses, it also offers powerful tools that can be used by all faculty to support student success in face-to-face classes as well. Every COM course has a Moodle course site available for you to customize to fit your needs. Attend one of the hands-on workshops listed above and learn how to:
A. Add and edit your profile.
B. Broadcast your welcome message and post your syllabus and other course materials.
C. Communicate with your students.
Technical Contact: Alice Dieli, Instructional Technologist / Distance Education, 415.485.9540
Content Responsible: Director of PRIE (position currently vacant), 415.485.9545