SPAN 101: Elementary Spanish I
Dear prospective students:
Thank you for your interest in Hybrid Spanish 101. As you might already know, hybrid in the name of the course implies that this is a combination of online and face-to-face learning and studying.
This class is designed for people who have time constraints but would love to learn a modern language. Our department has offered this class five times already and students who take it had comment how helpful it was to be able to do work on line and come to campus once a week instead of two times. I opted for hybrid rather than solely online course to help you develop conversational skills and benefit from cooperative learning as well as lectures on grammatical points. You have to be able to come to weekly meetings; they are very important and shouldn’t be missed except in an extreme emergency,
The information bellow is intended to help you understand how this course works before our first meeting on January 14, and January 16 2013, respectively.
- You are required to attend class once a week, 4:10 – 6:00 on Mondays, for section #10574 and 12:40 -2: 30 on Tuesdays, for section 10570
- The other on line portion is done at any time convenient for you, but always by the date assigned by instructor.
- We use SUPERSITE created by the editorial Vista Higher Leaning and the book Aventuras, 4th edition, and Moodle. Supersite is very well designed and students enjoy using it. You will not communicate with each other through the website but will be able to communicate with me and get feedback regarding your work. You could use other means (Skype) if you wish to speak to each other out of scheduled class. I will send all announcements through MOODLE primarily and supersite secondary. You will be able to log on supersite as soon as you have your code. My section will be announced under College of Marin Spanish 101 and you will follow self explanatory instructions on www.vhlcentral.com
- IMPORTANT: as we do meet once a week, greater burden is on you and you must have the discipline to do the online portion timely. If you for any reason cannot make our fist meeting, you MUST contact me before hand to save your spot as I do honor wait lists.
- You automatically are put on Moodle when you enroll in hybrid class. PLEASE make sure you know how to log into Moodle, and how to use it, as you will be visiting the site all the time. Information about getting a MyCOM account, read the FAQ's on the MyCOM Portal login page: https://mycom.marin.edu/cp/home/displaylogin
- I hope this email answers your preliminary questions. If you have any doubts, please email me. My e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aventuras 4th edition, Aventuras Workbook and supersite code. If you buy new book at COM bookstore you will get all three for approximately $200.00. You may buy used books/workbooks, but in that case, you will need to buy supersite code for$50.00 on the vhlcentral.com website. You can also purchase the book directly from the editorial Vistas, through this website, www.vhlcentral.com
- I love teaching Spanish and am looking forward to an exciting semester with you all: I must underline this again: I do require that you come to weekly meetings except when ill or in family emergencies. Looking forward to meeting you. ¡HASTA MUY PRONTO!
Radiça (Raditza) Ostojic-Portello
Professor of Spanish
Modern Languages Department, College of Marin